The Indian Air Force (IAF) administers the AFCAT test twice a year. Students seek to get admission to a reputable Air Force Academy and an Indian Air Force Officer appointment. This test has allowed both male and female applicants to work in an exciting field suited for this modern age’s youthful minds and adaptability.
B.Sc. graduate candidates are eligible to apply for the AFCAT exam. These candidates can opt for the flying branch posts or the ground duty non-technical posts available through the AFCAT exam. The ground duty technical posts are reserved for engineering graduates, so B.Sc. graduate candidates are not eligible.
Eligibility for AFCAT Exam
Nationality and Marital Status
- Candidates must be Indian citizens.
- Candidates must be under the age of 25 and unmarried.
- Widows/widowers and divorcees (with or without encumbrances) under 25 are likewise ineligible.
- Married applicants over the age of 25 may apply. However, they will not be provided with separate housing for their spouse throughout the training period.
- Flying Branch via AFCAT and NCC Special Entry: 20 to 24 years old as of January 1st of the following exam year. The maximum age limit for applicants possessing a valid and current Commercial Pilot License granted by the DGCA (India) is 26 years.
- Ground Duty (Technical & Non-Technical) Branch: 20 to 26 years old as of January 1st of the following exam year.
Educational Qualifications for B.Sc. Candidates
- Applicants must have obtained a minimum of 50 percent in Maths and Physics in class 12.
- Candidates must have passed from a recognized university with a minimum of three years of a degree program in any field and a minimum of 60 percent marks or equivalent.
- The candidate should have obtained a bachelor’s degree before applying for the exam. Students in the last year of the course are also eligible to apply provided they pass the course before a set date of the specific exam year.
- Ground Duty (Non-technical branch)
Administration and Logistics
The candidate must have completed class 12 and received a Graduate Degree.
- The degree should be obtained through a minimum of a three-year degree program in any field from an accredited institution with a minimum of 60 percent or equivalent.
- Alternatively, the candidate must have passed sections A and B of the Associate Membership Examination of the Institution of Engineers (India) or the Aeronautical Society of India by an accredited institution with a minimum of 60 percent or equivalent.
- The candidate must have completed class 12 and received a Graduate Degree.
- The applicant should have graduated with 60 percent or higher from a recognized university.
- This position requires a B.Sc. with a Finance focus.
The medical standards for serving in the air force are essential for all aspirants. The
medical requirements differ from post-to-post. Applicants must meet the
respective physical criteria before applying for the AFCAT examination.
- The following cases make the applicant ineligible to apply for the AFCAT exam:
- Applicants who have previously failed the Computerised Pilot Selection System (CPSS)/ Pilot Aptitude Battery Test (PABT) or a Flight Cadet suspended from flying instruction at the Air Force Academy would be unable to reapply for the Flying Branch.
- Applicants who were previously admitted to the NDA, Indian Military Academy, Air Force Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai, and Officers’ Training Academy Gaya but were subsequently dismissed due to indiscipline are unable to reapply.
- Candidates who have been forbidden from assuming any position in the Defense Services by the Ministry of Defense are ineligible for AFCAT.
- Candidates facing criminal accusations are ineligible.
The AFCAT exam is a highly coveted exam in India that fulfills the dreams of young and aspiring individuals to serve the country. Students can prepare for the AFCAT exam through the online resources offered by BYJU’S exam Prep. Aspirants can go through the exam pattern and syllabus to understand the details of the exam. Online video classes and mock tests on the BYJU’S exam Prep portal are helpful resources for the AFCAT exam.