The campfire is the perfect place for a family to bond and enjoy each other’s company. It can also be a great time to play games! This article will explore nine different games that are easy enough for anyone of any age and enjoyable for all.
Of course before thinking of what games to play, first look for the best camping grounds NSW. Whether it’s a beach, river or forest, pick a place everyone in the family approves!
1) I Spy – One person thinks of an object and everyone else tries to guess what it is based on hints given by the first player. For example, if someone says they’re thinking of something blue, you might try guessing ‘a ball.’
2) Hook-and-Ring or Catches – This game is played with two teams: One team throws the ring onto the hook from across a set distance (usually about 20 feet) and the other team tries to catch it. The throwing team gets three attempts and the catching team is allowed a turn.
3) Sound Train – This game is played by everyone sitting in a circle. One person starts with a sound, and then the next person makes a new sound based on the first one, and so on. For example, if the first sound was ‘a train,’ the next might be ‘choo-choo.’
4) The Alphabet Game – This game is played the same way as the sound train and requires everyone to think of a word that starts with each letter. For example, if the letter is ‘C,’ one person might say ‘cat’ and another could think of a ‘crab.’
5) Two Truths and a Lie – This game is best played with a larger group. Everyone takes turns telling three things about themselves, two of which are true and one of which is false. The other players then have to try and guess which one is the lie.
6) Steal the Bacon – This game requires two even teams and a long stick of bacon. Each team lines up on either side of the stick and one person from each line goes to get it. The goal is for that player to bring back their team’s piece without letting go or dropping it before getting all the way across the ‘bacon river.’
7) Charades – This game is best played with a large group. One person starts by acting out a movie, TV show, book, etc. and the next player has to try and guess it.
8) Would You Rather? – This game is played much like ‘Two Truths and a Lie,’ except the person gives two options (rather than three) for another player to choose from. For example, if someone says they would rather have blue eyes or brown eyes, you might pick brown because it’s more common.
9) Once Upon a Time – This game is also best played with a large group. One player starts by saying ‘Once upon a time, there was a ______’ and then filling in the blank with something like ‘king.’ The next person then has to say ‘and he/she did _____,’ followed by their own addition. This continues until someone messes up or gets stuck.
Campfires are a wonderful way to enjoy time with your family. And what better way to have a great time around the fire than by playing some games? There are plenty of campfire games that you can play, and the nine mentioned above are sure to please everyone in the family. Have you tried any of them? If not, which ones are you most excited to try?